Sunday, July 6, 2008

Blogging for Perfectionists

I decided to create a blog as my communication assignment for two reasons. First, I am the most familiar with blogging as a means of communication. Last semester I wrote a blog for Dr. Slone’s class about the creation of information. That was my first venture into the world of blogging and I was quite intimidated about the idea that I needed to create my own blog. The subject matter was such that I needed to make the blog postings academic in scope and I was unsure about how to blog in an academic way. I tried my best and I ended up with a B- for my blog grade. I wanted a chance to improve my blogging skills, and I talked to my instructor Diana Austin about building on my blog from last semester. She gave me the go ahead to use this blog for my project.

I wanted to enjoy the process of blogging and I decided to use my blog as a type of journal that reflects my journey through this class. First, I changed the information in my old blog to reflect my new goal by changing my introduction paragraph and my statement of purpose. I really enjoyed being creative and customizing my new blog. I changed my template and used different elements to build up my blog. For example, I included library science and Jewish web-pages that was academic in scope as part of my Link List.

This blog has also allowed me to see how I approach projects and what I expect out of myself as a student. I always strive to do my best in academics, and I have considered myself a perfectionist in the past with a sense of pride. Looking back at my blog entries for this course, I realize that my need to go above and beyond what is expected has hindered my ability to finish projects in a timely manner. I want to apply many creative and technology savvy elements to my projects and make my final project truly magnificent. I am not being realistic in the time frame that I have for the course or in the complexity of the content of the material that I want to include in my projects. It is crunch time and I am determined to finish all the requirements for this course. I am going to try to be more realistic the expectations that I have for myself.

No comments: